Thursday, December 22, 2005

You Can't Make this stuff up

The following is the transcript of an exchange during the Senate confirmation hearings of Dr. Condoleeza Rice as Secretary of State.

Sen HAGEL: We have troops in Iraq. You know that. I know that. Senator McCain knows that. What I know and McCain knows is we don't have enough troops. What are you going to do about troops, I mean to say adding more troops? Can you give this committee some specifics? Of what you've stated, you framed clearly. I think we understand what you've said. I support what you're talking about, your objective. But how will that change from what we have been doing? Fewer troops? Less troops? More NATO troops? Or what will envision the change in what you're anticipating our role to be and connect that to an exit strategy?

Dr. RICE: You are aware that I am nominated to be Secretary of State not Defense right?

Sen HAGEL: Might I point out that the goal here is quality face time. You are aware that I am not interested in your answers?

Dr. RICE: Yes.

Sen HAGEL: Well okay then.

Sen. SARBANES: I think the secretary who adopts a unilateralist approach in the international environment may miss important opportunities to prevent conflicts and to build alliances. And in that regard I just note that it's not enough to have the ear of the president. I think the secretary of state must also win the ear of the world. Are you going to make friends abroad?

For more idiocy spouted by members of the "Most exclusive deliberative body on the planet" go here. These are "legislators" constitutionally charged with "advise and consent". Heaven help us.

No comments: